I'm going to revisit a topic that was posted a while back here.
User Performance measures the time it takes you to understand and respond to a machine signal. This often means reducing clicks but can also come in the form of the system conveying information in an easier to digest manner so you can more quickly make a decision toward completing a task.
Below are some areas I have gathered and categorized. I'd like feedback on this and I hope they spark other thoughts. Take a look and keep these in mind as you perform some tasks over the next few days. Are there other minor things you see that if addressed could improve your speed?
- Allow clicking on any column header to sort by that header
- Ensure all lists in dialogs have a meaningful default sorting
- When names include numbers use a smarter sorting algorithm that accounts for units. (e.g. 1'-0”,1”, 12’, 21”, 4”, 5” - bad, 1”, 4”, 5”, 1'-0”, 21”, 12’ - better
- Make the offset text input field wider to display larger numbers
- When moving items up or down in the schedule field order automatically scroll when an item reaches the bottom of the list
- Display the drop down control so one does not have to first activate the field
- Ensure the selected value of a drop down is placed at the middle of the list so one can see values above and below without scrolling
- Increase the length of all drop down lists
- Ensure orient to view on the view cube and steering wheel has scroll bars on the view list
- Constrain the Zoom drag preview box so its proportioned to the active window aspect ratio to better preview the zoom results
- Double-click on middle mouse wheel button to perform a zoom extents
- Double-click on a sheet viewport to activate the viewport
- Double-click to edit a family
- Enable middle mouse wheel scrolling in all drop down lists
CLICK THROUGH UI
- Add <New…> and/or <Load…> to the drop down where one specifies another family (such as a profile) so the one can continue with their workflow rather than exit the dialog
- Add a button to the right of the selected family/type that takes you to the properties of that type (to alter, duplicate etc) and then return to the original context when that dialog instance is closed
- When overriding an object if a Fill or line pattern doesn’t exist, you have to exit, create, and start all over again. Provide a way to access these UI areas to create new styles that can be used in the overrides dialog. (similar to material parameter)
Ability to delete material
GROUP EDIT MODE
Unable to duplicate a wall type or something else when in group edit mode, except from the project browser. Allow type duplication in this context.
To change the workset of an existing object you have to deselect the object and then reselect it before the workset field on the properties dialog is enabled. Simplify the steps here.
Difficult to place a mass because the mass is work plane based and the placement option is not set to default to the workplane placement option.